Our NAMI SFV affiliate is an all-volunteer organization established in 1979 by and for families caring for loved ones with severe mental illness. We have all experienced the drama and heartbreak of living with mental illness, as well as the joy and hope of recovery. We simply could not do what we do without the selfless dedication of time, effort and talent of countless volunteers. We are pleased to welcome new volunteers and would like to give a special thank you to volunteers including those who walk with us in October. You make it possible for us to reach, and help more families and individuals in our community. Thank you all for everything you do to support NAMI SFV and those we serve.
VOLUNTEER WITH NAMI SFV! You can help NAMI carry on its mission. Please contact (818) 994-6747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about our Volunteer opportunities.
NAMI SFV is always in need of volunteers. Here are the current roles available:
- Teacher: become a Family to Family, Peer to Peer, Basics and Familia a Familia teacher (SFV & SCV)
- SCV Help: help to coordinate Family and Peer programs in Santa Clarita Valley
- Friends in the Lobby Volunteer: staff a table at Olive View Medical Center or Olive View Mental Health Urgent Care Center (Sylmar) lobby with another volunteer during visiting hours and introduce NAMI to visiting family members (SFV & SCV)
- Help Line Facilitator (English & Spanish): Return Help Line calls to individuals and provide information requested.
- Multicultural: Help to engage communities that historically have not taken advantage of our programs and services (i.e. Aremenian, Persian, African American, Asian Pacific, Native American, etc.)
- Fairs and Community Event Volunteers: setup, staff and breakdown exhibit at events (SFV & SCV)
- Support Groups Facilitator: facilitate support group classes for family members, friends and peers (SFV & SCV)
- Presenters: Become a presenter for In Our Own Voice; Ending the Silence; Family Voice; etc
- NAMI on Campus: help to develop student (peer) run support group on high school and college campuses
Fundraising: help to create and implement fundraising ideas and events
- Newsletter: help to coordinate activities associated with newsletter content and distribution.
- Website: write, monitor and approve comments posted to the blog.
- Website: update event calendar on website.
- Website: update website with approved requests
- Social Media: help to manage sites like Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, etc.
Special Projects: help with unique projects that fall outside of typical committee agendas
Membership: help Membership Chairperson with data entry
- Classes: help to oversee class scheduling and development
- Programs: Work with Spanish Program Coordinator in setting up educational classes, and implementing programs. Bi-lingual in Spanish & English desired.
- Outreach: Help create and develop partnerships with public and private agencies, organizations and health providers. Bi-lingual in Spanish & English desired
- Outreach: Help to develop partnerships with local Spanish television, radio and entertainment outlets. Bi-lingual desired.
- Website: Work with website coordinator to create, update and maintain Spanish portion of NAMI San Fernando Valley’s website. Bi-lingual desired.
Advocacy: join our Advocacy committee and help to make changes in the LA County mental health system
Interested in helping but don’t see your perfect volunteer job here? Call 818-994-6747 and leave a message for the Volunteer Coordinator or send an email to email@example.com.
If you have a strong desire to make a difference and have a passion for helping people living with mental illness.
If you have computer skills, organizational skills, or typing skills, we can put them to good use.
If you like people and enjoy sharing information with others, we can use your gift of gab to spread the word about NAMI-SFV
If you like group projects, we can use your help to prepare Membership Information packets and other mailings and welcome your group to gather and make this happen.
If you like to work on your own, we even have virtual volunteer opportunities that can be conducted at home.
If you wish to make a real difference and would like to make the commitment to serve on a NAMI-SFV committee, we welcome you!
If you would like to volunteer, or help us in any way, contact us at (818) 994-6747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A NAMI San Fernando Valley volunteer will be in touch as soon as possible.