Emmy winning actor from the ”Big Bang Theory” Mayim Bialik joins NAMI LACC (the National Alliance on Mental Illness Los Angeles County Council ) to speak out about mental illness with a video message.
In conjunction with the 14th annual NAMIWalks LA County on Saturday October 1, 2016 at Grand Park in downtown Los Angeles, Bialik has released a deeply personal message on the importance of overcoming the stigma of mental illness.
“I come from a family full of a phenomenal set of skills, and also a tremendous amount of struggle. Many in my family have struggled with mental illness without help or support. As hard as it is to live with a mental illness and not get help, it's also hard to love someone with a mental illness when we don't know how.”
NAMIWalks is an annual 5K walk and is the largest fundraising event for NAMI’s 12 local affiliates in Los Angeles. Last year, over 4,000 people attended NAMIWalks LAC, raising and impressive $462,000. Funds raised through NAMIWalks donations and sponsorships ensure Los Angeles area local affiliates can provide FREE educational programs, support groups, resources and antistigma mental health advocacy for people living with mental illness and their families.
The largest mental health education and fundraising effort in America, NAMIWalks brings together thousands of individuals and supporters to celebrate mental illness recovery, to honor those who have lost their lives to mental illness and to help raise funds, combat stigma and promote awareness. This year marks the 14th Anniversary of NAMIWalks. In 2015, 79 NAMIWalks events raised almost $12 million to support local programs and initiatives that improve the lives of persons impacted by mental illness. There are over 210,000 members in over 1,200 NAMI affiliate groups in the United States, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, American Somoa and Guam.
“People struggle with mental illness in every corner of the globe, in every racial and ethnic group, poor and rich families alike. No family is immune. It is a rare and blessed gift to be able to get help when you or a loved one needs it. I have turned to NAMI the National Alliance on Mental Illness as a resource for myself and those I love for years. ”
- Mayim Bialik
NAMIWalks 2016 in a Nutshell
- 14th annual NAMI Los Angeles County Walk
- Saturday October 01, 2016 9 am – 12 noon
- Grand Park Event Lawn in downtown Los Angeles
- 5K walk starts and ends at Grand Park event lawn in downtown Los Angeles
- Walk registration is free
- Funds raised through donations and sponsorships ensure that the twelve Los Angeles area local affiliates can continue to provide essential educational programs, support groups, resources and antistigma mental health advocacy FREE of charge for people living with mental illness, their families and friends throughout Los Angeles County.
- THEME: Rewriting the Script About Mental Illness
- >MC: TBD NAMI is grateful for his/her support.